How to remove a swing set or playset? Complete removal guide
Removing a swing set or playset is not as simple as it sounds. This can be an intimidating task for homeowners, especially if you’ve never done it before. The good news is that with the right tools and some patience, you can do it yourself in no time.
We’ll walk you through the entire removal process from breaking down the playset to disposing of it properly. Read on to learn more about how to remove your swing set or playset.
How to Take Everything Apart
1. Begin by removing all canvas, tarp, or other fabric materials that may be attached to the structure.
2. After removing the fabric material, unscrew and remove all of the hardware that is holding the main beams together. Beams are usually held together with large bolts or screws.
3. After taking apart the beams, carefully remove each individual piece of lumber from the structure.
4. Remove any nails or screws that may still be in the lumber and dispose of all pieces safely.
What tools do you need to take apart a swing set?
-Tape measure or ruler
How to Disassemble a Wooden Swing Set
If you’re planning to move or simply want to get rid of your old swing set, you’ll need to disassemble it first. This can be a daunting task, but we’ve got you covered with this step-by-step guide on how to disassemble a swing set.
1. Start by removing the swings from the swing hangers. If the swings are attached with chains, use a pair of pliers to unhook them.
2. Next, remove the ladder from the frame of the swing set. If the ladder is bolted in, use a wrench or socket set to loosen the bolts and then lift the ladder off.
3. The slide is usually the next thing to go. Start by taking off the stabilizing bars on either side of the slide, if there are any. Then, grab onto the slide and lift it straight up until it comes free from the frame.
4. The final piece to remove is the main frame of the swing set. If there are any bolts holding it together, use a wrench or socket set to loosen them before taking apart the frame. Once everything is disconnected, you can now easily dismantle your swing set for removal!
How to disassemble a metal swing set
Assuming you have a metal swing set:
1. Unscrew any and all bolts that are holding the frame of the swing set together. This will most likely be done with a wrench or socket set. Take note of where each bolt is so you can put them back in the same place later.
2. Once the frame is disassembled, remove any and all chains, ropes, or other materials connecting the swings to the frame. These can usually be cut with a pair of pliers or scissors.
3. The slides can usually be taken off by unscrewing the bolts at the top of the slide. Again, take note of where each bolt goes so you can put them back in later if needed.
4. Any other accessories on the swing set (such as monkey bars) can usually be removed in a similar fashion to the slides. Unscrew any bolts holding them in place and remove them from the swing set completely.
Tips For Removing Your Old Swingset
When it’s time to say goodbye to your old swingset, there are a few things you need to do to ensure complete and safe removal. With a little planning and some elbow grease, you can have that swingset out of your yard in no time!
Disassemble the swingset
This typically involves removing the swings, slide, ladders, and other attached pieces. Once everything is detached, you can start taking the frame apart. It’s important to take careful note of how everything fits together so you can reassemble it later if needed.
Dig up any anchors
These are usually metal rods that are driven into the ground with concrete. With the anchors removed, you should be able to pull the entire swingset out of the ground. If it’s especially stubborn, you may need to use a pry bar or sledgehammer to loosen it up.
Finally, once the swingset is out of the ground, you can proceed with taking it apart completely for disposal or recycling. Be sure to dispose of all metal parts properly – many scrap yards will accept them for recycling. Wood can typically be thrown away with your regular trash pickup (check with your local municipality first).
Ways to dispose of your old swing set or play set
There are multiple ways to dispose of your old swing set or play set.
1. Sell it:
You can list your old swing set or play set on a classified ad website, like Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, and try to sell it.
2. Donate it:
Contact local charities or organizations that accept donations of used items and see if they would be willing to accept your old swing set or play set.
3. Recycle it:
Some cities have recycling centers where you can drop off large items such as swing sets and playground equipment for free. Check with your local waste management department to find out if there is a recycling center near you.
4. Hire a Junk Removal Service:
If none of the above options are available, you can always hire a junk removal service to come and take away your old swing set or play set for an additional fee.
Repurpose your old play set or swing set
If you have an old play set or swing set, here are a few options available to repurpose it.
Repurpose it into a fun outdoor seating area
Remove the swings, slides, and other components that make up the set, and then use the frame as a base for a new seating area. You could add chairs, benches, cushions, or hammocks to create a cozy outdoor space for relaxing or entertaining friends. You could also paint or stain the wooden structure to give it a fresh new look.
Reuse the play set into a garden feature
You could hang planters from the frame, create a trellis, or even use it as a structure for a vertical garden. If you’re feeling creative, you could also upcycle the wood and other components to make unique decorations or pieces of furniture.
Playset removal cost
The average cost of a swing set removal is around 400$-600$. This includes the cost of renting a dumpster and hiring a professional to remove the set. If you have a large playset, the cost may be higher.
Your local swing set/play set/playground disposal service
If you are considering removing your swing set or playset in Tampa, Florida. Trash Wizard provides the complete swing set removal and disposal service for you at affordable prices. Get a free quote by sending us your old swing set/ play set pictures and relax.